The war on Climate change within our industry…
With the recent forest fires in Australia having a devastating impact on the world and it’s Eco-system, climate change is currently at the forefront of everybody’s minds.
But realistically what can we do now as a world to prevent these devastating natural disasters from happening and to prevent the damage done to our world by climate change?
The answer? It all starts with us and how we live our everyday lives; our homes, the energy we use and the lifestyle choices we make.
For most freehold homeowners sustainability and greener choices can be incorporated very quickly and efficiently, with the additional benefit of government grants available to contribute towards the cost of the works. However, when you live in a communal environment such as an apartment block run by a property management agent, like many of Realty’s customers do, it takes the effort and desire of not just the residents, and leaseholders but also the effort and expertise of the managing agent, in order to instigate positive sustainable changes.
At Realty Management we have recognised that we have a big task at hand, as we manage a very large and varied portfolio that includes Grade II listed buildings, buildings in conservation areas, large complex mixed-use developments, developments with significant areas of open space, and developments with communal facilities such as large communal heating & hot water systems, leisure facilities, play features etc.
As a business, we keep appraised of changes to environmental legislation and best practice, via industry leading experts and our membership of trade bodies, and in the last two years alone we have invested a considerable amount of time researching externally more sustainable ways to operate at each individual development.
Our most popular initiatives that are currently widely used and promoted are:
- Introducing LED lighting to improve energy efficiency and bulb longevity reducing cost and waste.
- Recycling is widely promoted through our residents’ update letters/online portal and recycling bins have been arranged with the local authorities at developments where no such provision existed. This typically extends to paper and cardboard, plastics, glass, metals, and more recently biodegradable food waste.
- Where possible we wish to reduce paper consumption and therefore we encourage the use of our online portal for communication
- Cycling is also widely promoted across our developments with secure cycle stores having been created at a number of sites where this was not previously a feature.
- Rainwater harvesting has been implemented to reduce water usage within communal grounds
- Replanting schemes have been introduced which aim to reduce carbon dioxide & air pollution and improve air quality, including the addition of green/living walls to city centre areas where traditional planting schemes are not possible
- We only ever use local independent contractors for works in order to support local communities and to reduce air pollution from national contractors undertaking long journeys/commutes.
- We have recently started retro-fitting, where leases and documentation permit, electric car charging points
- Part of our Property Managers’ standard practice is to encourage the use of public transport where possible to do so.
In addition to this we currently have working experience and/or the knowledge and contractor base to manage the following, amongst many other smaller ‘green’ facilities:
- Combined Heat & Power (CHP) Systems.
- Heat Recovery Systems & Mechanical Ventilation.
- Biomass Fueled Heating.
- Photovoltaic Solar Panel & Solar Water Heating.
- Green Roofs & Green Walls.
- Ground & Air Source Heat Pumps.
- Recycling & Composting.
- High Performance & Recycled Building Materials.
- Wind Turbines.
- Retrofitted Insulation & Low Energy Lighting.
- Sustainable Drainage, Water Attenuation & Natural Filtration Beds.
However our most proudest initiative to date is our commitment to ensure that at least 80% of our portfolio are moved onto greener energy tariffs by the end of September 2020. At Realty we are now in the process of moving each development over to an 100% renewable green electricity and gas provider that is certified by Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGOs) and independently verified by EcoAct, a Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) accredited provider.
This means that our customers and clients can be confident that the energy their managing agent has purchased is renewably sourced and can be reported with zero carbon emissions under the GHG Protocol market-based method; and demonstrates to Realty’s customers and clients that our business has made a commitment to support the long-term development of sustainable energy resources.
If every human being on the planet made a little change in their lives to reverse our carbon footprint, we could drastically start to reverse the devastating impact upon our delicate eco-system and help combat the global crisis.
If you are looking for a dedicated, professional, sustainable managing agent that cares not only about your home/property , but also your wider environment; or if you are interested in any of our green initiatives, then please do not hesitate to contact us for a proposal/quote/chat on 0161 474 7677 or firstname.lastname@example.org